Tufting involves making a pile rug or wall hanging by hand. Tufting machines use pneumatic force to press a U-shaped piece of yarn through a backing fabric. The height of the pile is altered by cutting the yarn shorter or leaving it longer.
Materials used for tufting
The TextielLab usually works with wollen yarn (6.2/2 New-Zealand quality) on a light-grey, polyester backing. All of the desired colours can be created at the dyeing department of the Lab. Other yarn can be ordered, upon request.
Rugs and wall hangings.
Jan Koen Lomans (Yearbook 2013)
Kloppenburg & van Egteren (Yearbook 2013)
Lizan Freijsen (Yearbook 2009)
Els van 't Klooster (Yearbook 2012)
The facilities are suitable for any designer, artist or architect interested in making unique creations, with the time to develop a truly exclusive product.
These tufted products are not intended practical use. They are made as artworks, for display in (government) buildings, or exhibitions. The technique is sometimes also used in haute couture.
The tufting workshop has 2 large tufting frames (2.75 x 9 metres) and two testing frames of 1 x 1 metre. Spanning the frames is a grey polyester backing.
Samples displaying all sorts of yarns and hundreds of different colours of wool are available for reference, as well as previous tufting projects.
- A design for a rug or wall hanging at the TextielLab can include an unlimited number of colours. Designs here can vary per stitch, in colour or pile height. Sometimes as much as 9 colours are used per centimetre. This is unthinkable in regular industrial-scale projects.
- The TextielLab has its own supply of wool and can colour these in any desired tint.
- A rug is immediately tufted in the right shape and size, generating little waste.
You can start work in the TextielLab as soon as your request has been approved and the contract has been signed. It is important to be well prepared before starting at the Lab. See below for more information.
TextielLab tufting essentials:
- A painting, a sketch or a photo of the work forms the basis
Once your request has been accepted, the TextielLab experts will discuss with you how the design can best be converted into a tufted product. Important factors are:
- Colour use
- Pile heights
- Desired finish, depending on what the product is to be used for.
Please allow for an ample production time, as the product is entirely hand-made. The average production time for a tufting project is 4 to 6 months.
The price per m2 is between €750 and € 2.000. The price varies, depending on:
- the detail of the design.
- the number of colours.
- the density.
- the type of yarn used.